Sunday, July 27, 2008

6 Things I'm Proud of MeMe.....

Janet tagged me for a meme to list 6 things that I’m proud of. This is a lot harder than it seems at first thought. This is all from my heart though so please don’t take it as bragging.

1. I am proud of the fact that I was raised to believe in God and to believe that if you lead your life as a good person, good things will come to you.

2. I am proud that I was given the parents that I had. They were good, hard-working people who raised me to live by high morals. I worked hard and never did an impetuous or thoughtless act. They taught me your name was only as good as your integrity.

3. I am proud of myself because I was able to basically raise my family alone. I lived on a strict budget and planned my life with cunning strategy so I would not be a financial burden in my old age.

4. I am proud to be an American. Being female and the main breadwinner, I’m glad I was given the opportunities to better my life. We take so many things for granted and reading as much as I do, I have been given glimpses into how some others in other countries are forced to live.

5. I am proud of my children because they both are caring and compassionate human beings who also believe in God and try to live their lives as decently as possible.

6. I am proud that I try to do things to make people feel better or to make things a little nicer in our world. They are just small things, but they are consistently done. I care about others and I don’t judge for it’s not my place.

I’m not used to patting my own back. In my previous post I mentioned how I felt like a failure…but I meant that in terms of being perfect. Nothing I do is absolutely perfect, but it did get positive results. So, my mom’s old saying of “If something is worth doing, its worth doing right”….could be replaced with mine…. “be as good as you can be, so you know you’ve given your all”. If its not perfect….well, who is judging? Its taken me a lot of years to be able to say that and feel OK with it.

I’m not going to tag anyone because I found this a very hard meme to do and I don’t want anyone to feel obligated. If you’d like to do it though….please do so and let me know if you’re going to. At least, if you don’t share it, write it out and sit and think about it for a while. It makes you do some deep thinking. Love you all.

15 comments:

Maria said...

Yes, you are right. I can think of so many things that I feel that I have failed at, but very few that I feel proud of. And that is kind of sad, really.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to comment on Maria's comment-I felt the same way when I sat down to think about this meme but I wound up finding more things to be proud of than I thought I would. Please do this meme, it really gives you something to think about!

Val-what a great list! You certainly have plenty to be proud of.

Smocha said...

You are a role model Honey!

I have meant to comment on your last post....but have not had the time to "think that deep"
Now you hit us with another great one:)

I plan my next post to be about both of these.(your last 2 posts)

Women are sooo hard on themselves. Yet upon deep thinking , we realize "hey , I'm not that bad."

It's a damn shame:)
OR maybe it's just a part of our mystique.

Bear Naked said...

I have found personally, that the older I get the more *deep thinking* I am doing.
Is it a sign of maturing or of finally accepting who I am and what I have become?

Bear((( )))

desert dirt diva said...

its good to hear smocha say that, its a long time in coming...anyways i can't write six things right now.. but maybe later...have a good monday!

desert dirt diva said...

p.s. i love to play with your kitty

Happyone said...

All great things to be proud of!!!

fiwa said...

I bet that was hard to do, but aren't you glad you did it?

#3 is very good - there aren't many people who can say that nowdays. I enjoyed reading them all, and I probably won't post it, but I'll sit down and think of 6 things I am proud of.

all my lovins -
fiwa

Mama Llama said...

That is a wonderful meme--I particularly enjoy the introspective ones, even if painful at times.

I will think on this one. Be well, Val.

The Real Mother Hen said...

Indeed.
And I'm proud to have known you.
Really.

Linda@VS said...

I know how hard this was because I did the same meme, and I thought it was gonna kill me.

You did a beautiful job on your list.

JY69 said...

I agree with all your readers...it's hard to find things to be proud of oneself..but that's a shame really...nothing shameful in pride...but hey...you found six things to be proud of...i'm not sure how long it would take me if i had to do this meme! LOL

Mental P Mama said...

All I could think of when I read this was: Integrity. You got it going on!

Joy Des Jardins said...

Well, you certainly have a lot to be proud of Val....and you have all the right things to be proud of. That makes you very blessed my friend. ~xo

Jamie said...

Charlotte, I loved this post. You really are such a kind, compassionate and caring human being, and it shows.

I think it would be hard to do this meme, so I won't try. But like you, I do try to think of others, generally put them first...

I hope your week is going wonderfully.

I want you to know how much I appreciate your kind words on my blog. They really do make a difference, just like your post said. And frankly, I think you are pretty perfect, just for the record.

Hugs.

:)