Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Give and Then Give to Cover Costs.....

Is it just ME? I found this horribly amusing…so much so that I laughed my way through to the end of the conversation. I received a phone call tonight…soliciting money for a “good cause”…..aren’t they ALL? Anyway, after courteously listening to his sales pitch, he then asked me if he could count on me for a “small” donation. With a sly smile on my face I suggested an amount and he retorted with, “well, we do ask for a minimum donation of _____ to cover costs and handling, etc." (I thought I was donating for a CAUSE, not costs and handling) WHAT costs and handling? Am I paying someone’s salary? Handling? I’m paying someone to open the envelope to remove my check?

This tickled my funny bone something terrible. Sorry, but I just found this darkly humorous. Someone is asking ME for money….and then they have the audacity to DECLINE an offered amount that they deem TOO SMALL and suggest a higher amount? Forget about being GRATEFUL that you would consider even donating in the first place. Am I missing something here? Is it just me? Did I lose a few brain cells? Anytime I collected for charity, we were happy for every penny. Sigh. Just thinking out loud.

Oh and to answer what you’re probably wondering….yes, I did donate something and it was only because it was for children, which is a soft spot with me.

10 comments:

Mama Llama said...

Oh, Val...that is so funny.

My church just sent home to all the Religious Ed students their own "tithing" envelopes...as if permitting them to put coins in the poor box, or other forms of Doing Good For Others that I try to teach at home doesn't count. It is printed on the envelopes that "I have done something good today, so now I will do something good for the Church."

I, personally, found that both angering and humorous. How dare they dictate what my children see as a cause more worthy than any other, or for taking that same money and buying someone who is hungry a BigMac?

I love it when (as always!) I have to fill out the "other" line on any donation form because my pittance-ful offering does not fall into one of their "generous" categories. Oh, well. We do what we can...and only One knows what is truly in our hearts, right?

Thanks for the chuckle tonight, Val. Be well...and Happy Mardi Gras!

Moohaa said...

At least you gave.. when I realize a phone call is one of telemarketing or some such thing, the only thing the rep hears is the clicking of my phone!

SOUL said...

some people just don't know any better.
but yep-- i woulda done the same-- but probably would have been too rude to donate-- to them at least.
you are charlotte for a reason :))
have a happy day

Karen said...

I've got a silent phone number so these people can't get hold of me in the first place. If I ever have been caught and it's a good cause (children or animals) I will donate whatever I can afford at the time and they'll be happy or lose it. Haven't they ever heard the expression "Beggars can't be choosers".

Jamie said...

Such a good point...and this really does happen quite often. I think it's wonderful that you donated anything at all, but then it's so like you....

Anonymous said...

I wonder what the "handling" was?

SOUL said...

what's goinin on-- you haven't disappeared again have you??

Jenny said...

You know, many non profits actually hire outside companies to to do their fund raising and keep a percentage of what they get... maybe that's why he wasn't happy...no commission for him. When I think I'm getting a telemarketing call for donations I just tell them very happily "I'll be sending that DIRECT to the ABC Organization, but thanks for the reminder."

They are so not happy with me. Hee.

Summer said...

I just recently made a decision about donating to charities. I'm going to keep it at home, in my community. They seem to be the ones that struggle the most and get the least.

But you're right. That was damn funny!

Jamie said...

Where are you these days? How are things going, I know - you are working too much again..

Just checking on you. :)