Tuesday, April 9, 2013

H.....is for Hairstylist

Even though this picture is from one of the funniest cartoons that Bugs did, we women take our hairstylists serious.

While every single hairdresser has skills that I certainly don't have, there are only a choice few that can make my hair do what it's supposed to do. I have never really understood it but that's the absolute truth.

Years ago I found a terrific hairdresser.  I just loved what she did with my hair. Now this was back in the late 60's when updo's were the thing and also hair that added maybe a good 6 inches to your height. Marge Simpson and her blue hair had nothing on me as far as updo's were concerned. For years I followed this one specific hairdresser, Susan, to various shops within a 20 mile radius. She was a gem as far as I was concerned but when I think back on it, she may have been hard to work with....why else was she always leaving one shop and going to another. I can safely say that I followed her to at least 8 different places before I stopped because she was getting just too far away. She eventually quit to become a SAHM so it was good I found someone else. Even though I've found some great hairdressers since, she's always been my favorite.

A hairdresser is not only your hair's best friend but she or he is your confidant; they must know more secrets than the FBI and CIA combined. They have the ability to make you overjoyed or the ability to shove you to the depths of depression.  When a woman does not like her hair.....she is not one to be messed with. Jokingly telling someone they have a "bad hair day" is not really funny to most women. If a hairdresser screws up your hair once, you may never ever sit in her chair again simply because the trust you had is gone.

Now I no longer get my hair done once a week; I get it cut about once every 2 months. If the one girl cuts it, it will be super behaved and do just what I want. If I can't get an appointment with my first choice and have to take my second choice, my hair has more of a mind of its own, even though it looks like they are both giving me the exact same cuts. That's the mystery.....how something that looks the same can be oh-so-different.  So....here's to our hairdressers.....they are certainly loved and cherished; do they even know how much?


9 comments:

DayDreamer said...

All that you've said is oh so true! Finding 'The One' hairdresser can be as hard as finding 'The One' in love. Now my daughters are teenagers they have started finding the same truth of this and I get the fall out, hmm.

Meryl Baer said...

I have curly hair and have always had trouble finding someone who could do a good job cutting it. I would find someone, and they would move or take a long maternity break or retire. A lifelong quest!

Coffeypot said...

Great Clips for a trim... which is getting much less to trim, too.

Marti said...

Having survived the worst haircut of the century, I know the value of a good hair stylist. She is expensive, but the cost is worth it, rather than have to wear a paper bag over my head for 9 months while the cheaper cut grew out. Visiting from A-Z

Top 5 Amazon Deals said...

I agree. Hair dressers know everything!

Jana @ A Novel Reality

Josie Two Shoes said...

I am a total coward when it comes to hairdressers, having had too many terrible experiences where "trim the dry ends" ends up six inches shorter, etc! Now I trim my own bangs when they start to hang in my eyes, and let John take the scissors to the length every few months to keep the edges looking healthy. I guess I'm happier with the "wild woman" look, it takes great courage to put your head in the hands of a hairdresser! If you find you love (and I've had one or two)you do hang with them, I wish I still had one of mine but couldn't talk her into moving to Texas with me! :-)

Mary said...

That has got to be my absolute favorite cartoon episode of all time! I have the giggles just thinking about it, now I need to watch it dang it!
Yep, I've been going to the same girl since before my divorce,(a long time ago) she knows the WHOLE boring story, poor thing. She still seems happy to see me. I like what she does to my hair, I've had a few oops here and there, but not enough to search for another.

Forsythia said...

I've been with the same stylist forever, and she does the best she can. Be happy that you have hair with a mind of its own. It's better than hair that lies down absolutely flat. One time when I was getting a perm (I don't do that anymore) Linda left the box where I could see it. The box said, "Limp and fine formula." ANNOYING!

Hughes ap Williams said...

After being with the same hairdresser since the early 1980s, I am having some problems with her...and it has nothing to do with hairdressing!

She now has the Fox channel on the TV constantly and makes vicious and inaccurate Tea-Party-inspired comments. I dread my appointments.