Friday, November 18, 2011

A Little of this and that.....

They have discontinued my very favorite coffee. I had very little warning, just an email about 2 weeks prior to my shipment of K-cups, stating that my subscription had been cancelled and I'd have to find another brand. Wow....not so easy. I finally went to another website and ordered some Caribou coffee. Yes! It's very good. I like it. I don't like the higher prices of coffee in general though. It's almost enough to make you stop drinking it.......almost. Give me my coffee so I'll still be a nice person. LOL

My whole family is sick with the flu. Thank goodness I hadn't been around them for about a week or more before they came down with it. The kids are better already, my daughter is doing a much slower recovery; she says it's the sickest she's been in many years. And no....she did not get a flu shot. They should all be ok by Thanksgiving. Now.....if I can just keep from getting it, everything will work out fine.

That may not be easy though. I will be giving my flu shot a real test. A lot of my co-workers are sick. And......DA-YUM......I hate it when they come to work sick; hacking and coughing all over the place, spreading germs to everyone. It's enough that we have to put up with the public coming in that way. Sometimes people just lack common sense.

Yesterday it snowed here.......hard. Huge big fluffy flakes were coming down so hard and fast it was nearly a white-out. It may have lasted 10 minutes, then cleared up and not one single flake could be found anywhere on the ground or on anything. This is just a warning of things to come, I fear. And....yes, you guessed correctly. I'm not fond of snow.

For the second year, my co-worker and I split the cost to furnish a needy family with all the groceries necessary to have a very nice Thanksgiving meal. We don't know the family's name, just that they live in our community; we are doing it through the church. We do know that there are 3 adults and 4 children; two of which are teenagers. Teens can eat a lot, so we bought a little extra. We will also be 'adopting' a family for Christmas. Right now, I'm not sure if it will be the same one or not.

Every year I send money to the Rescue Mission for Christmas. It's amazing how many people they can feed with a small donation. I've been contributing to them and Toys for Tots for over 25 years. I imagine this year they will have a lot more people to take care of. God Bless them all.

I really do hate the time change. My system is all off schedule. It may be daylight when I drive into work, but it's dark when I come home and I don't like that at all. It's hard for me to drive after dark; the on-coming headlights tend to blind me, especially if its raining (or snowing) and you have to have your wipers on. I'm grateful I don't have far to drive. I wish they would just pick a time and leave it alone!

My anti-virus program did a software change recently. They sent a pop-up so I could upgrade but I kept getting an "error" through windows. I googled it and discovered it was a windows error and not the fault of the anti-virus program. I tried to fix the problem myself using recommendations I found online but nothing I did worked. I finally broke down and called the number I was given to Microsoft.....except it really wasn't Microsoft. It was a place called Omni Tech Support.

I'm not going to bad mouth this company because, after I managed to get through their high pressure sales pitches for their software and services, they did solve my problem and, consequently, anti-virus was upgraded just fine. I did have to pay for their services and I did let them remotely fix my system. I'm still a bit nervous over all that but I watched everything they did (not that I'm any expert....but it didn't look like anything covert was being installed or activated). I guess this may be what we can expect in the future......computer repairs done remotely. I sort of like that in a way because you can get service quickly. It did take them nearly 3 hours to repair my computer, which looked to me like something in my registry was wrong. The thing I didn't like was that I didn't get any kind of receipt and I didn't get any kind of explanation of what was wrong or why it happened.

Afterward, I googled the company and found that reviews of them are mixed; people either love them or hate them. I didn't sign up for their "plan", which was horribly expensive.....so I can't tell you if it's a good plan or not. All I can say is that the tech did fix my problem and for a cost that probably was not any higher than what I would have paid for someone to do it at their shop.....but I had it fixed that very day, within hours......where taking it someplace.....well, you know how long you may have to wait when you do that.

That's about enough of my tidbits I would say.........are you asleep yet? LOL If I don't get back by Thanksgiving, I wish all of you happy times making good memories with those you love. Oh....and I have a recipe for a Pumpkin Dump Cake, if anyone wants it for the holiday. Just ask in the comments.

Keep Smilin'

5 comments:

Mikey said...

I've never had a flu shot. I'm considering getting one, but so far so good this year...
I also have my computer remotely fixed. It's SO nice and easy. I trust my guy, he's a neighbor, so that makes it different I suppose, than a stranger. But yes, I think that's the future of computer techs and repairs.
Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I learned the hard way not to click on "update" messages without being certain that they really relate to software I trust and already have running. The company that fixed your computer might have created the problem in the first place when you clicked on its message. I don't know that, just speculating. Scary stuff, and really hard to know!

glnroz said...

zzzzzzzzzzzz,, lol not really,,, glad to hear you got your computer all fixed up and good to hear you're doing good....

Joy Des Jardins said...

So glad we both had our flu shots Val...now don't you catch anything from your family....like I did. I'm getting over a cold that my granddaughter passed on to me a week or so ago. Hey, I knew I was in jeopardy, but who's NOT going to hug and kiss a sweet baby girl? I bit the bullet and jumped in.

Hope your computer is all better now....I HATE all those update messages...and sometimes I don't click them. I've become quite paranoid when it comes to my computer and its security...sorry to say.

Have a most wonderful...and healthy Thanksgiving with your beautiful family Val.... ~Joy xo

THINGS YOU'D NEVER GUESS ABOUT ME said...

Children are mucous factories and must be avoided at all times. I got my flu shot, but there's so many things running around just as bad, and VIRAL. When I used to work, I was amazed that everyone with a horrifying cold would lean over me at my desk to talk, and answer my phone.

I couldn't help it. I started spraying my phone with Lysol when they finished talking. And, yes. They would actually get ANGRY at me for doing it and act offended!