Monday, April 4, 2011

C.....is for Commercials

Ah the land of TV Commercials! Commercials are irritating mostly because they are taking you away from a program that you actually want to view....even though they do offer an opportunity to quickly run to the bathroom or to the kitchen to grab a drink or snack. Commercials are not that long if you check each one individually....but on a commercial break its not uncommon for 10 different commercials for 10 different products or services loudly trying to persuade you to buy buy buy.

I have seen commercials that I just love, however. We all remember "Mikey", the commercial I have pictured. That commercial stayed in our memories for years and in so doing.....the product they were advertising stayed in our minds. (Life cereal) I love emotional, touching commercials. Make me cry and you've got me hooked. Anything with animals seems to be a good bet. Humorous commercials are great also. How many of you remember the Alka Seltzer commercial from so many years ago....about the HUGE dumpling that the newlywed saved and froze for her husband? I have many favorite commercials and kudos for all their writers.

However.....

There are an over-whelming amount of commercials that just plain make me mad. I realize that "s-x sells" and that is probably one of the main problems in our country today....but that's for another post at another time. So many commercials are just that. Nothing but s-x. (I'm not spelling it out completely because I don't want to be a google hit for the s-x seekers.) Anyway, have you seen the commercial that shows nothing but a young woman's behind in various poses and articles of clothing.....mostly underwear..... and the commercial turns out to be an ad for SHOES. This almost sent my brain into vapor lock. Then heaven help you if you watch daytime TV. I really try not to. The commercials will nearly fry your brain. The constant bantering about suing....for big money.....BIG money. Fall down your steps at home?.....are you a renter? Then SUE your landlord and get BIG BUCKS. Neighbor's dog growl at you? SUE. This has led to anxiety and loss of sleep and your health has deteriorated. Blah blah blah. In these days of people looking for easy money this just plants the seed. I've had two claims against my homeowner's insurance and both parties (spread out over a 20 year period) didn't carry it through because it was discovered they were "enhancing" their so-called injuries. Afternoon TV is almost nothing but lawyers and "get out of debt".

In my opinion, such as it is, if they all stuck with humor the product or service would be remembered and the commercial would actually be watched. Who doesn't love the little dog with anxious dreams about his precious bone? The song alone is a winner. Good job, Traveler's Insurance.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the new commercial showing the man "mayhem" who pretends to be a GPS, or a pretty girl running down the street, or a teenager who gets angry, showing how different personalities can cause an accident for others. It's SO funny that I can't remember the insurance he's pushing.....but that's just me.

I've started posting my manuscript again, and I hope to continue until the entire book has been placed on my blog. This way, at least someone will get to read it.

http://danamazing.blogspot.com/

glnroz said...

"Wheerrrr's the Beeff"? lol i always like the way Alfred Hitchcock would berate the idea that a commercial was fixing to play.

Anonymous said...

Hi Val!! I'm not committed to the A-z challange, so instead I'm standing in support of those of you who are.

Loved your C post.. good luck with your quest!

J

Forsythia said...

So far, so very very good, in your A-Z challenge. I like the commercial where the rabbits topple over laughing at the snake trying to pass himself off as a rattlesnake with a baby's rattle.

ILoveMyDogandMy Music said...

I can't stand the Hardee commercials. I refuse to go in that place of business.

Rae said...

Commercials are one of my pet peeves, except I like the AFLAC duck and the Budweiser ad with the dogs doing the dishes and serving food.

Coffeypot said...

I think commercials are becoming more entertaining. Some are just dumb and make no sense, but others make me laugh. I especially like the talking baby commercials for E*TRADE.

ethelmaepotter! said...

So true!

You should try watching tv in the wee hours of the morning - nothing but s-x commercials, and they can really get quite explicit. And those lawyer commercials get me, too. "Ambulance chasers," they used to be called - remember? People will sue over anything these days, and these vultures are encouraging them. We have a local commercial which consistenly shows one smiling face after another - "I was in an accident and ********** got me a settlement of 150,000!"

And oh yes, I remember the marshmallowed meatballs!

Jamie said...

I love this post. Some commercials are better than the programming, some are totally awful. This is why I love my DVR. Hugs, friend. :)

Margaret Hall said...

Hi, Val...I am like you~!! I have a DVR and that is the BEST investment that Jer and I have made! I can fly through those suckers unless it is one that we like...lol..My fave from the past is "Where's the Beef"...and now I like the one for a banking concern, with the dog and the bone that he put into the deposit then retrieved it..
Great "C"...On to D....
http://timeforabucketlist.blogspot.com/
http://imagesinthought.blogspot.com/
http://the-old-story-tree.blogspot.com/
http://bagladythoughts.blogspot.com/