Thursday, March 18, 2010

'Tis the Season.....for skunks

My friend, Jackie, had a birthday just a couple days before me and her sweet little dog brought her a nice present.....she had gotten herself skunked! Jackie had an old recipe for removing skunk odor on hand. What's different about this one is that it actually works!......and you don't have to do anything exotic like using gallons of tomato juice either. She told me that maybe I should post this so anyone needing it can take advantage of this little miracle concoction. So with Jackie's permission, here goes. Copy it down and keep it.....you never know when you might need it and the skunks are coming out of hibernation now.

SKUNK ODOR REMOVAL RECIPE
Buy a quart of hydrogen peroxide (3%) at the drugstore. Add to this 1/4 cup of baking soda and one teaspoon of liquid soap (or dishwashing detergent). Bathe your dog or cat or yourself....whoever got skunked.....in this solution, then rinse in plain tap water. That's it. Obviously you double or triple the recipe to accommodate the size of the one getting bathed. I hope none of you have to use this, but feel confident that it works if you do. *Note: Do not save any leftover mixture in a sealed container as it may burst due to the bubbling qualities of the peroxide.*

All our snow is gone now, even the huge piles that were shoved to one end of the parking lots. My hairdresser told me yesterday that we have snow forecast for this weekend. Living here as long as I have, I know that we've gotten some impressive snowstorms in April before so I'm not surprised, just disappointed. I am sooooo ready for spring this year.....actually I think I say that every year. LOL

13 comments:

Linda Medrano said...

Skunks are such pretty little critters, but... I don't want to get anywhere near one! We have a few out here too.

Thanks for the recipe! It might come in handy if Harry gets too adventurous!

Forsythia said...

I hope you don't get any more snow!

Seems everywhere we go these days, we smell run-over skunk. Poor critters are probably running hither and thither trying to start families.

Rae said...

I certainly hope I never need the de-skunking recipe, but I am glad to have it just in case. Thanks for the tip.

fiwa said...

Oh wow - thank you SO MUCH for this! We have a skunk population in our neighborhood. I will file this away and save it in case we get skunked again this year. Last year when it happened it thankfully didn't get my dog, but it sprayed toward the house and I thought I was going to die. The smell is SO INTENSE. You immediately want to vomit, it's so bad. Thankfully setting out bowls of vinegar worked to get the smell out of the house, but this is good to know in case one of us accidentally gets sprayed this year.

What surprised me is what a horrid odor they have - and how it smells so different from the skunk smell you get along a highway when one has been hit. The odor they spray and the smell they make when they're in heat is sooooo terrible. Gah, I hope they've moved somewhere else this year. It's enough to wake you out of a dead sleep when one is anywhere nearby.

Coffeypot said...

The only skunks I know of are the ones in the White House and Speaker of the House. Recon it would work on them?

Jamie said...

Ugh, getting "skunked". That is one thing that has never happened to me, and hopefully, that will not change. :)

Yes, snow here too, tonight and tomorrow...and yesterday, it was 64 effin degrees! I am ready for continual warm.

Big hugs, friend. Have a happy day at work today. :)

My Aimless Infatuation said...

Thanks for the tip,I'm sure the day will come that I will need it. Hope you get your spring weather soon.

Smocha said...

That is ONE curse I have not yet suffered. (knock wood ,I never do)

But good to know . I always heard of the tomato juice bath.

Left an award for you over at my place honey. Please go get it :)

Savannah said...

Well that is one concoction I will never need thank goodness. I don't know what a skunk smells like but I watched Pepe Le Pew and I know it must be bad...LOL.

I hear you on being sick of the snow. I was getting all ready for Autumn but it seems we are not done with the heat quite yet. Sigh....

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nothing worst than getting skunked..it is terrible! Thanks for the reminder..I need to grab some peroxide at the store:)

SOUL said...

peroxide is most definitely the modern miracle dontchya think? i keep on finding new and wonderful things to use it for. i love it-- and it's so cheap ! it's the best kept secret in the world !
thank you for the recipe-- we get skunk season here-- main concern has been rabies vs the dogs etc-- but hey-- never know when one may get sprayed.

did you get snowed on? we're waitin.. they keep tryin to scare us -- for now -- just cold rain, and wind. burrrrr

warm-ish hugs to you :))

SOUL said...

haha-- gypsy never smelled a skunk ! could you imagine? i couldn't imagine being so deprived :))

hi GYPSY

Margaret Hall said...

Holey Moley, nothin' worse than the skunk odor! Sorry to hear that your friend Jackie's dog got hammered with the smell! But, glad to have that recipe for odor disaster! Good to read you again, Val...Missed comin' by your busy blog!