Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Invasion of privacy.....

I'm wondering if this is something new or just a low-down dirty way of doing business utilizing the Internet.....and how many places are doing this now.

I received a call a week or so ago from this guy who quickly identified himself as working out of an attorney's office in California. He asked if he was speaking to ....and he said my name and I said 'yes'. He then said he was desperately trying to get in touch with my niece and he gave her name.
He seemed to know that she lived out of my state and named the state to which she had moved (more than 8 years ago) and he seemed to know that she is a relative.

I interrupted him at this point because I had already been given a 'heads up' from my daughter about this guy. He had called her about a week previous to my call and had given her the same story. She, of course, did not give him any information but did agree to pass on his message if she heard from her cousin.

This guy works for a collection agency and they use the Internet to find relatives of people who are delinquent on their bills. They then start bugging the relatives of the debtor in order to get in touch with the debtor. I think they are thinking that if they bother enough relatives that they (the relatives) will harp on the debtor to pay up to get rid of these phone calls and thus, it makes their job much easier.

I don't know who started this process but I really resent being bothered, especially since I don't owe any back debts. I not only resent being bothered by phone calls, I resent the invasion of privacy that's occurred since these people had to do some research to find out that I'm related to this person.....especially with a common last name like I have. But most of all.........I resent the fact that they are making private details about a person known to their family members. I had no idea what her financial situation is or was....now I do.....and that's just not right. I hope someone sues over this and stops it....its becoming totally out of hand.

So anyway, I interrupted him and told him off. I told him he was a lowlife revealing private matters about someone to their family members. I asked him how he would like it if his relatives knew if he was late on a bill and it had gone to collection. His attitude bordered on snotty and he was aggressive but I kept interrupting him. (its amazing how gutsy you can be when you know they aren't after you) He retorted that he had not told me that she owed money....and I said, well, you're from a collection agency and you're trying to get ahold of her....so what else can one think. I told him that I did not want to know her financial status.....it was none of my business and I wanted it to stay that way. I told him to remove my name and phone number from his computer and not to call me again. He said he would comply with my request.........but you know he really won't, don't ya?

22 comments:

Forsythia said...

These folks are weasels. Even worse are the people who owe money and give out a phone number that happens to be yours! At our cabin in Ohio, we've gotten phone messages and dunning phone calls meant for "Norman." Glad you were able to head off the posse at the pass. BTW, a year later I am still getting phone calls for work-at-home schemes because I allegedly expressed an interest in making thousands of dollars per week at by working at home.

glnroz said...

there are dozens, if not hundreds, of web sites out there that have ALL of your information. My wife works in a sensitive profession and I have tried, without success, to get this information removed. You cant. If it is on file at the court house or anywhere else, it is sold to any number of people. For a few as little as $5.00, you can get almost any information you want. Just fight any chance you get. Sounds like you did pretty good. lol,,

Leann said...

I hate those people. Truly. I don't hate much, it is a strong and deep emotion, but I can honestly say I hate them.

Rae said...

Good for you giving him a piece of your mind. He deserved every bit of it- plus more. That is so wrong what he is doing. Bill collectors might be doing their job but the way they go about it makes them the scum of the earth in my mind.

boneman said...

(o)(o)

'Course, you can also tell them that you saw pictures of them masturbating on the internet...
but, "no, I'm not going to tell you where..."

well...I reckon we know why I don't get too many calls from those kinds of low-lifes.
At least not twice.
d=))

ain't for city gals said...

In Az by law they have to tell you they are trying to collect a debt...if not big trouble...and by law they are not allowed to call back ...they are the scum of the scum...

My Aimless Infatuation said...

Way to go! They deserved that!

Angel said...

Wow. They are getting bold aren't they? I'm not the least bit surprised though. And honestly, if this information is on the internet it is elsewhere and these practices could have gone on long before the internet. But I don't know for sure.

Good for you for standing up to him. But it's almost useless with them because they hear it all on a daily basis... so it doesn't phase them at all I'm guessing:)

P.S - I resurrected my blog... I think:) So I'm making the rounds on my blogroll to say hello.

Jenny said...

This is when I really, really wish I kept one of those air raid horns next to my phone.

I rarely answer my home phone anymore. With caller ID and having trained most of my family/friends to use my cell (or text) I know anyone calling isn't really calling for me.

I hung up on a telemarketer at work the other day and he called back to tell ME I was rude. BWHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Coffeypot said...

You should have said, "Oh, I'm sorry. You didn't know. She died in prison. She was executed for killing a collection agent who found her at home. The feeling for you peoples run deep in this family. Where did you say you worked? Your address?"

fiwa said...

Thank you for the welcome back, dearheart. I missed all of you so much - but I didn't want to spread the kind of ugly mood I've been in, if that makes sense?

And about this stuff - I actually know of this happening to someone else where the actually tried to pressure the family member to pay the debt! Someone once said to me that it takes a special kind of personality to be a bill collector - a kind of self righteousness. I would totally agree with that statement.

Good for you for telling him off. And I feel sorry for your poor niece. Having been in that situation before, I hope that she can get herself out of it.

Love & hugs -
fiwa

Joy Des Jardins said...

That is so offensive Val. That really is an invasion of privacy. Where do these people get off thinking they can do these things? Some people just don't have any decent guidelines anymore. What kills me is they turn around and get mad at YOU for telling THEM off...like you're the one in the wrong. Can you believe it? Geesh...what's wrong with this picture? You handled that well Val...you were probably way too nice.... Hugs, Joy

boneman said...

Is it any wonder why I like that Anonymous Boxer!?
HA!
I'm getting one of those horns as soon as I can!
HA!

Jamie said...

Loved coffeepots answer...and the way you handled it, too. Personal information has gotten to be too public, and it's only going to get worse.

Have a great day today....

Big hugs. :)

Anonymous said...

Filth sinks to the bottom where the roaches feed and that's where he gets his information and DAMMIT there's NO privacy any more!

Christine said...

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre27.pdf

This is the fair debt protection act. Check out page 7. I don't think they legally can call you again.

Linda Medrano said...

Much as I enjoy the net, we are giving up so much of our privacy when we use it (particularly those of us who blog or use Facebook, etc.). Sometimes it worries me, but then I figure it's just a cost of doing business in this new society. I hope this jerk doesn't call you again!

Golden To Silver Val said...

Ahh Christine....thanks for that info. If he calls back, I'm going to be throwing a section number from this Act at him.

boneman said...

yeah, but, it wouldn't hurt to have one of those horns, either...
d=))

gayle said...

I agree with you and would have done the same thing!!

Lee said...

I totally agree with you. You can find anyone or anything on the internet. This is why I don't have a published number...my relatives are nuts.

Savannah said...

I loved what Coffeypot said too...LOL. Unfortunately these people have thick skin and very little you can say will bother them. I hope you manage to put the fear of God into him Val. If anyone can, I would count on you :)