Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I'll get to it......eventually

Dang! A brand new year and I have so many things I want to get done....but I just have NO motivation....at all. I must start to do twenty different things a day ..... key word here is start. I can never seem to finish anything anymore.

I think its just the winter blues.....although I'm really not depressed.....or at least, I don't think I'm depressed. I'm not a cold weather lover and do tend to hibernate when the temps dip below 30. Throw in some snow and ice and I don't want to even think about going outside. But you'd think I would have all kinds of time and desire to do inside stuff......wrong. I just want to either nap, read or watch movies when I get like this. I'm wondering if I should check into one of those light panels. You know the ones that simulate sunshine? My doc already told me I have a Vitamin D deficiency so I take supplements for that. Oh well, I will snap out of it sooner or later (around July, I'd say) so in the meantime I guess I will just have to put up with it or hire a maid. Gosh I'd love one of those, but I know me.....I would kill myself cleaning up my house so she wouldn't see it in a mess when she came. Oh gawd.....I'm hopeless! (and just discovered how to find some motivation.....lol)

My daughter went shopping for a washer and dryer. She hit several stores looking for a good price. Washers and dryers seem to have gone up considerably since I've purchased mine so I can't tell if she got a good deal or not. I guess the main thing is that she's happy. Her washer finally died around the first part of October and she's been coming here to do her laundry. Its a pain in the patootie to pack up all your dirty clothes and lug them elsewhere in order to get them clean.....as everyone who has to go to a laundromat knows. So, she found a set she loves and bought them yesterday. They are going to be delivered today. Her friend knows of a family who could use a washer and dryer so she's giving her old set to them. The dryer works and the guy is handy so he may be able to fix the washer. If she's made life easier for someone else at no cost to them or very little cost anyway, that makes her happy. She is her mother's daughter!

But anyhow.....she was telling me that her washer is a top loader and has no agitator. Now this, I've got to see. I can't wait to check this set out. We've always had very good luck with either Whirlpool or Kenmore products and she stayed with the brand.....her new set is a Whirlpool. I've been told that even though they have different names....its the same company that builds both. She said its also large capacity.....so I guess she could throw the couch in there if she wanted to. Seriously, though......I guess she can easily wash 2 or 3 blankets at once. This is a god-send to any woman with kids running around getting things dirty as fast as you clean it up.

I watched Planes, Trains and Automobiles last night. I do this at least once a year.....usually when I feel stressed or out-of-sorts. This movie has never failed to make me laugh.....and last night was no exception. Its laugh out loud funny in places and I love a movie that can do that. If you've never seen it, make it a point to watch it. Its been around for a few years....John Candy and Steve Martin have the lead roles. Is it just me.....or do you feel that movies are just not as funny as they used to be? Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky. Oh yeah and I also watched the latest Harry Potter. (the half-blood prince) I didn't like this one. Out of all of them so far....this has been one that I did not enjoy....even the acting didn't seem as good. Could it be because "Harry" is grown up now and I still want to think of him as a boy? But even though I didn't like it as much, its still better than a lot of the movies out there.

Here's hoping I'll find my motivation ..... probably hiding in the back of that closet I've been meaning to straighten up and organize. But more than anything....I just hope that everything else goes ok in my family ..... at least for a while. Its been a rough ride for the last couple years. My daughter gets out-patient surgery on her spine tomorrow at the hospital....its a procedure in which they kill the nerves in a certain area of your spine. Sounds scary and it is....no room for any errors, that's for sure. She's had this done before and it does seem to help with her chronic pain for about 6 months. I'd be so grateful if you could say a small little prayer for her, if you would. Thank you. Happy days peeps......look for the small things to make you smile. Til next time......take care my friends.

**Update, Wednesday. My daughter came through her surgery just fine, the doctor was pleased. From what I understand, he used radio frequency to burn the nerves in her spine from her tailbone up to her ribs. We'll find out more about the procedure, which was a lot more extensive than the other ones she's had when she goes back for her check-up. Hopefully, this will reduce her pain significantly. Thank you for your prayers!

13 comments:

Lee said...

I think your motivation ran off with my motivation and they are laying on a beach in the Caribbean.

Smocha said...

Naturally, there was a bucnh of stuff I wanted to say as I was reading this.... but now ...here's all I can remember.

Ummm...uh...oh prayers said! for daughter. (damn senility!)

Oh! you know a funny movie,if you haven't seen it is "welcome home roscoe jenkins"

we're having a blizzard here,as we speak. they don't DO snow here OR road care ,so I hope my spouse can get home from the airport tomorrow.

I'll post pics of our RARE England snow.

((hugs))
Smocha

oh, p.s. you can't believe how many blogs I have seen your link on. you are one popular lady :)

happyone said...

When it's a dreary day outside, I usually turn on all the lights and make my own sunshine.

I really like Planes, Trains, and Automobiles too!!

Prayers are on the way!

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Yes, full-spectrum lights can make a huge difference. I finally had to take anti-depressants, too. Without them I couldn't scrape myself off the floor.

Peruby said...

First and foremost, best wishes and good luck sent to your daughter. That cannot be easy and I hope it eases her pain.

I also like the Whirlpool brand of washer & dryer. I've had very good luck with them. It has been over a decade since I purchased mine so I imagine that I too, will be in for a shock when I go to look at the newer models. My couch could use a good washing, though.

Planes,Trains&Automobiles movie is listed as one of my faves. I was just talking to folks at work that the newer movies are trashy. Not amusing to me at all. I am so disappointed. I'll go back to John Candy ANY day of the week.

Not a Harry Potter fan.

Don't fret about the motivation. There are a lot more of us out here than you think. My house has gone to the dogs - literally.

Savannah said...

Every time I read one of your posts I swear we are twins who were separated at birth.


I would definitely be one of those people who clean the house before the maid gets there....LOL. I hate it on the rare occasions where I can't get motivated. It just isn't me to sit around but sometimes Val I think, why not? Who's it gonna hurt if you read, watch a movie or sleep. At our age we should be able to do the things we enjoy without guilt so I say GO FOR IT.


My very best wishes to your daughter. I do hope it turns out well and offers her some relief from pain. Let us know how it goes won't you?


Big hugs Val and enjoy your nap/book/movie...:)

Jenny said...

You too? I think it's the fact that 100 of years ago, we DID just sit and rest during the long winter months. It's hibernating and we can blame the invention of the light bulb for messing up a fabulous respite.

You'll get your mojo back, but until then good luck to your daughter. Chronic pain is the devil.

Happy New Year!

gayle said...

I know what you mean about motivation...I have none. Also, my Vit. D is low too...going back tomorrow to have it checked.
Glad everything turned out good for your daughter!!

Mama Llama said...

I am happy to read the good news on your daughter's treatment. I will continue to send positive thoughts.

I also have a low Vitamin D level in my blood, and have had that checked from over three years ago. This year I got a new doctor who told me that there is no real way I could overdose on 5000 mg of Vitamin D a day in the winter, maybe bringing that down to 1000 daily units in the spring/summer, when I am gardening. So I upped my intake dramatically this year and I have not had to use my SunBox light this winter yet. I feel so incredibly DIFFERENT this year, it is amazing. The 1000 daily I was taking just didn't do it for me the past few years...at all.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles. My favorite line from that movie: "YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!!" I need ot see that again!

Hang in there, Val. The days are slowly getting lighter and lighter.

Be well.

Margaret Hall said...

Happy to hear about your daughter, Val~! Will keep her within my thoughts, and hope all is better!

Winter can take a hike as far as I am concerned! I am tired of the dreary and wet and windy weather! Working on finishing projects, or working on just plain procrastination is my goal for the while....Seems that motivation is scarce for many, so just hang in, and thanks for the movie reviews. Be glad when FRINGE comes back with new shows...
BTW, Happy New Year....

Cheryl said...

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the motivation. It's winter. Who cares when stuff gets done? Take it one day at a time and do only what you feel like doing. Don't be so hard on yourself.

I've never seen that movie. Sounds like I should. Funny is good.

I'm so glad your daughter's surgery was a big success. That's great news!

glnroz said...

Motivation? I got plenty of motivation. I am sitting here now writin........zzzzzzzzz

glnroz said...

oh,, glad it seems that your daughter's surgery went well.. happy new year.. I enjoyed my nap.