Friday, August 28, 2009

Its so good when things work like they're supposed to.....

My computer is up and running and is so fast. The programs that I use on a regular basis have installed flawlessly. My bookmarks and passwords have imported into the browser just like they are supposed to and they actually all work! I just can't help bragging even if I may jinx the whole thing. I really NEEDED things to work right.

I still have a few things to incorporate and I need to set up my backup system yet.....but so far, so good. Even the online brain teaser games I play work.

I reinstalled the little weather program that I've used for quite a while and my virus program jerked itself up out of the system tray, stood on a box and literally screamed NO at me. It says there's a trojan in there and I'm disappointed because I like the program, but I'm not taking any chances. Recently the program had to be redone, according to the author, because of changes the weather channel made to its site. Maybe he did something odd...or maybe my virus scanner is having hot flashes....not sure but I'm listening to it. I don't need any more problems.

This afternoon the power went out at work. We have a huge generator which immediately kicked on so we barely knew the difference but having all the offices open and working is a drain on the system, which has to be up and running because of the police department that is in the same building. The traffic on the 5-lane highway out front was bumper to bumper because the traffic signals were no longer working. Then we found out that the outage was extremely wide-spread....at least an 8 mile stretch of the highway and areas surrounding it. Something to do with a transformer that had a domino affect and other transformers went out too. After an hour of being on the generator we found out that service would not be restored until after 11 pm this evening. We were all told to shut down our workstations and go home. It was only an hour and a half early....but great that it happened on a Friday night! To avoid the traffic mess, I took the back way home...which is all gravel roads through the farm route. I take this route frequently when I just need to unwind....no traffic lights and plenty of horses and rolling pastures as well as some areas of deep, thick woods. Very pretty. The rain even stopped for my commute home. Anyway, I was glad to pull into my driveway tonight.

Today is cold and rainy. Its only 60 right now and I swear it feels like Fall already. Its a good night to cuddle with a book.......or maybe play a computer game now that I can.

9 comments:

SOUL said...

greetings and salutations my friend...
happy to hear that your computer is running smoothly.
the word trojan is a scary one - i hate to see it. (anywhere actually :)) )

your day sounds a bit hectic-- i hope you have a more chilled out weekend.

see ya later charlotte-

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a Snoopy day to me. Enjoy the early start to your weekend. It's still hot here. 60 sounds wonderful, but that means that before you know it winter will be there. I love the fall but not the bare trees of winter. Your ride home sounds one I'd love.

Jamie said...

That is a great thing to have happen on Friday! Your ride home sounds like the commute I had for all the years I lived in the southern part of the state---minus the gravel, I had a paved highway. I never minded it too much, except on the few white knuckle winter rides over the years. Surprisingly, I love driving here in the city, and to tell the truth, even when I am stuck in traffic, I am so elated to be living here that I don't mind. I wonder how long it will take be to be a real city girl and start swearing at it?

Yea for new computers!

Hugs, friend. Happy Weekend. :)

Forsythia said...

Horses and rolling pastures---a sight for "soul eyes."

Savannah said...

Computers are so effin' fantastic when they behave themselves. Woot! Have a great weekend Val.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Congrats Val.....You KNOW I'm thrilled that your computer is running smoothly....we've talked. Kisses and hugs all around. Yippee!! Love, Joy

happyone said...

Great News!! Glad your up and running. Always nice to get out of work early. :-)

Mikey said...

Boy I wish it was 60 here right now! I could use a little fall weather...
Thanks for visiting my blog, love yours too, I'll have to bookmark it!

Margaret Hall said...

OHHhhhhhhhhhh....FINALLY~!! Bless your heart, you have had a time with that computer~!I am happy to see you back on track, we have missed you...Sorry to be so tardy, but I have been busy, but wanted to come over and leave a note and say have a splendid Holiday Weekend~!!