Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Around and around we go.....

I called the first number to Microsoft and talked to a man with a slight accent....of what kind I'm not sure. He was either Tad or Ted but he was very nice. He took all the information I had to give, even saying that eBay would work with them in this case. Glad to know. I want this thief caught! Then he gave me another number to call about getting a replacement. He didn't know anything much about that but kept saying I could buy another software package from them.

I had to laugh at Glen's comment about getting "John" from India because that's precisely what happened. Although "John" was super nice....friendly, compassionate and probably knowledgeable, I could only understand about 1/3 of what he was saying. Never have I said "pardon me" so many times. I even had him wait for a minute so I could change to my other phone which has a volume control on it. Why is it that when we have a hard time understanding due to an accent, we think that if we can hear it at a more intense volume, that we will be able to decipher it better? It did not help, by the way. I finally was able to understand where to find the form I needed to fill out in order to report piracy and also to "have a chance" at getting replacement software once I sent them my discs and documentation. So, I will send that off tomorrow or the next day.....insured and certified. Its up to them to decide whether I deserve replacement software and if they decide in my favor, it will take a month to get it. I was referred to yet another number (thank goodness for toll-free).

This was in reference to my Windows XP, which is not what its supposed to be either. About all I was getting out of that is that I can purchase a new set of discs. Forget the fact that this would involve wiping my entire hard drive and starting over from scratch. What happens to all my stuff? Why....for a price, they can store it online for you while you do this. XP is no longer for sale, so I would have to buy Windows 7, which may not be compatible with my existing programs. Yet another number was given to me to find out if my programs would work. This guy also gave me the impression that I was some sort of moron for buying a computer at an auction and also for buying the Word program for $139 when it sells for nearly $500.....and that should have raised some flags. Well, no....it didn't. I was buying software that had already been upgraded to a newer version (2010) and I thought that the older version (2007) would be less money because of that. I decided I wasn't in the mood to be belittled, so I said I would research buying new software and let him go. He was condescending and not very friendly.

So, now I wait. Yes, I have learned a lesson. Buy computers and computer software from well-known establishments, ones that can prove they are authorized Microsoft dealers. Check your PC's and laptops to make sure you have your certificate of authenticity on the side or bottom. If not.....you likely have illegal copies. But of course the certificate of authenticity could be counterfeit (as what happened to me). I think Microsoft needs to come up with a better way.

14 comments:

glnroz said...

I hope you told "John" hello for me. I think we must be good friends by now, but he keeps sounding different every time I talk to him. lol.. Just about anything that come from China is counterfiet or copied..

Coffeypot said...

Just to let you know, I am a real John and speak English (albeit with a Southern Accent.) There are only three types of Johns. American, English Speaking, dudes, a portable toilet, and someone who pays for hookers. All the rest are foreigners and are not real Johns.

Golden To Silver Val said...

LOL, you forgot about LONG Johns and John boats. Since I had such a hard time understanding this guy....his name may have been Sylvester. Poor Johns get blamed for everything....such as John Does....not to be confused with John Deere.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter Val. My Toshiba came from Office Depot and my little "Indian" tech pretty much had to tell me that I now owned a laptop paper weight.

HEY! Check out my story: http://www.danamazing.blogspot.com/

Peruby said...

They are not going to make it easy. I believe (and I could be wrong) that they will throw many obstacles at you to wear you down and hope you just give up.

Best of luck!

Leann said...

Wow, it sounds like you've been having quite the October. I hope November brings better days for you :-)

P.s., I would hve gone out and untangled the dog. neighbors shneighbors..... ;-)

Anonymous said...

We have Apple computers here at home, but Hubby deals with Windows based computers when he's at the office. The company he works for has their computer help desk in India. He never gets any help out of them because they aren't trained well and difficult to understand also. It can be very frustrating for Hubby at times. He feels your pain. I on the other hand never touch anything Windows based and life has never been so good.

You are so right. Microsoft needs to come up with a better way.

Di

Debbie said...

I just went to Best Buy lugging my CPU. I wanted to get more memory for my almost 6 year old computer. It is XP. I was going to upgrade to Windows 7. Cost? over $300. I went over and found a brand spanking new HP for $529. He would have added MS Office for $99. Regular price $119.00. I'll have to get that later LOL

You poor thing. These puters have us held hostage in a way.

Joy Des Jardins said...

I hope things are finally resolved soon for you Val. I hate all this software crap...and the games they play with you trying to get you to purchase more. It makes me tired and frustrated. Good luck sweetie...

Jamie said...

I am honestly impressed at your knowledge and patience and sticktoitiveness. I probably would have given up already. You go girl.

I owe you an email...and I will get to it. Hugs, friend. :)

happyone said...

I looked up the website about the shoe trees. Really cool. I'm going to add my old pair of shoes to that tree. Maybe others will do the same.
Thanks! :-)

ethelmaepotter! said...

Well, all I can add to the comments above is...good luck!

Jamie said...

Missing you...I have been running. Where are you?

Hugs and junk. :)

Write, call, email....telegram, smoke signal...

:)

Jamie said...

Darnit, I commented and now it's not here. It said something about missing you, hugs, stuff like that. I think I made a reference to write, email, call, text, telegram, smoke signal...

I have been doing nothing but running from one thing to another. What are you up to?

xo