Tuesday, April 14, 2009

And I didn't even get kissed.....

Monday, being what it is.....Monday....can hold many surprises for us. I drove to work without thinking too much about anything except that I didn't get much sleep the night before. Once in a while that happens to me and it really makes me sympathize with people who have trouble sleeping every night.

I don't think I'd been at work for more than an hour when one the the department heads came up to me and said that my passenger front tire was nearly flat. What! Those are almost brand new tires. I just got them a few months ago.

I couldn't leave my desk since I was the only one there to answer phones at the time so I had to sit and wait. Soon the maintenance guy came in and I asked him if he would take a look at my tire. He came back shortly and said it was nearly totally flat. He said he'd get the portable air compressor and put some air in it and see what happens. I told him that I had hit a really big pothole a couple days ago. He just gave me that look. You know the look. That look that men give you when they think you have the intelligence of a flea. He came back a few minutes later and said it took air OK and he'd check it again in a couple hours. He more or less implied that he thought I drove the 6 miles to work on a flat. I told him that it wasn't flat when I was driving it; I would have felt it. I've had a flat before....I know what it feels like. He gave me that look again.

The tire held air fine all day and when I got out of work at 5, I headed straight for Belle Tire, which is about 3 miles away. They informed me that I had a gigantic SCREW in that tire and they fixed it. I'm gonna tell you that I'm mad that the tire is damaged because it was new....but I'm glad that they found something so that I can report to the men at work that there was something that made it go flat after I got to work and I didn't drive it like that from home like a brainless wonder. I figure I must have ran over it just before pulling into the parking lot at work. How it managed to hold air all day long is a mystery I'd rather not think about....I'm just glad it held air long enough for me to make it 3 miles to get it fixed. *Sigh*


11 comments:

boneman said...

It was sharp enough to hold the seal for you. Lucky girl!
Depending on what kind of screw it had been, you may have not had such a good outcome. (and, here's hoping the tire was replaced free of charge.)

Not all of us are so crass, though. Sometimes I even see gals do a double take at me because I remain polite, even though it's occasionally obvious I want to call someone a name or something.
God, I do pray for the funniest thing TO say when those moments come up.
For example, while they replaced the tire, did you mention you'de at least like a box of candy with your...er, screw?

Jamie said...

Good heavens. I know what you mean, men always think we are stupid when it comes to cars. Being in the business I am, it took years for the idiot men I worked with to know that I knew sometimes more than they did about what I was talking about...now, at my new place, it's back to being treated like a GIRL. ugh.

Happy humpday good friend. Hugs.

:)

Smocha said...

I had to laugh at this. Men do DO that to us ,don't they? Lol

Soul and I once changed a flat ourselves. Out on the side of the highway. We stood back and proudly admired at our achievement.

"hmmm, I wonder why that one sticks out more than the others?"

"hmm, I don't know."


Upon closer inspection ,we realize we had put the tire on backwards.

Maybe the men are right about some of us. Bwa ha ha !

Happy humpday :)

Belle Tire said...

Thanks for coming into Belle Tire!

josie2shoes said...

Don't you just love it when guys look at you like you haven't got a clue? Sure, you would drive all the way to work on a flat tire and never notice. Groan. Glad you got to the tire shop safely and they were able to find and fix the problem. Most often car problems never act up when you get to the repair place. I had this very same thing happen at work and it's such a major pain in the butt!

happyone said...

Glad you got home okay and that your tire could be fixed!!
I have run flat tires on my car and can drive 250 miles on them if I get a flat so I don't have to worry about it. The only way I would know that I had a flat would be a warning on my dash about low tire pressure. Very handy!!!

fiwa said...

I'm just glad you didn't have a blow out. I know what you mean - my husband always looks at me sideways when I report a weird noise in the car. But usually within a day or two - something actually breaks down.

Brad said...

Ok, my dear. Why! Why would you give a STARVING RATS ASS what a bunch of knuckle dragging, mouth breathing men at work think of you? YOU know your smarter than that!

Reminds me of the time I got a bolt stuck in mine. It sealed and didn't go flat. Somehow it became a test of wills between Jay and I over who got it fixed (yeah, my bad) Anyway, I drove for weeks on that tire.

clickety-click, clickety-click clickety-click.

Debbie said...

I had one last week. Second in my entire life. I was driving and "felt" noise. Luckily Sheriff tried to help me get Merchant Tire to fix it. They were too busy. I call GEICO and they sent someone out to change it. The stem was torn and I know exactly which curb I hit. Needless to say, from now on I do wide turns there LOL.

Men.....

Mama Llama said...

Well, that surely could not have been fun.

I make it a point to pick up screws and nails on the sidewalks or streets when I walk by and see them there. Anyone who has had a flat due to that reason cold empathize.

Be well, Val.

Cheryl said...

I wonder if I ever had a flat? I'd sure want someone else to fix it if I did. Hopefully your fix makes it as good as new. Tires are expensive and you want them to last. What a pain.