Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sound off.....

I wasn't going to bore you with this, but then got to thinking.....I'll just bet there are a lot of people out there that feel exactly the same way I do about this. Let's see.

I had noticed a certain toll-free number on my caller I.D. a LOT. Sometimes twice in one day. Yet no message was ever left on my answering machine. A few times I was here but I won't answer toll free calls or unlisted or 'caller unknown' so left it to go into the machine only to hear a "click". Then I became curious. Who in the hell is trying so hard to get ahold of me, yet won't leave a message. I made up my mind to answer it next time I got one.....I knew I wouldn't have to wait long.

A few days ago, I received one. When the phone rang, I nearly killed myself to get to it so I could see who was calling. Yep, there it was, same toll-free number. I answered it on the third ring only to be disconnected. That did not set well with me. The next day I received another one and again could not make it until the third ring and was again disconnected. My curiosity was killing me, I must admit....although I was fairly certain it had to be a solicitor. I wanted to answer it for no other reason than to tell them off. How fast do they think an old lady can move, for cryin' out loud.

Yesterday I received one and this time I was right by the phone and got it on the first ring. The wind was blown out of my sails when she announced that she was from "(I'll hold back the name)" Well, I certainly could not tell her off....not a charity, although a lot of them have overstepped their bounds on some occasions. I did not tell her off but was rather curt. I have never given to this particular charity. Matter of fact, I'll tell you that I do not give to charities unless they are non-profit. I want 100% of the donations to go to the cause; I'm not paying someone's wages. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. Check out what some of these executives of certain charities obtain in wages and you'll see why.

Anyway, she was quick to say that she wasn't asking for a donation. The scenario here is that they send you 20 informative brochures, donation cards and envelopes. You are supposed to stuff these, put postage on them and then TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR FRIENDSHIPS by sending these to all your friends and neighbors. It further irritated me that she had my name and address. I hate it that we no longer have privacy. They have you in a fail-fail situation here. I would LOVE to know what IDIOT came up with this hair-brained idea. First of all, that's a lot of work. Secondly, when your "friends" receive these, they are ticked off for sure because now they have to send money or look bad in the eyes of the whole neighborhood. They don't even want to get around you for fear you may ask them if they've sent anything in yet (and they haven't). This is a HORRIBLE idea. I was quick to tell her that No, I do not participate in anything like that, thank you very much, have a nice evening.

I get so much more out of buying a winter coat for a child, or being a secret Santa for a family or saving the lives of 20 dogs and cats. How about you?

14 comments:

ain't for city gals said...

I often wonder if ANYONE ever does one of these things...same as junk e-mails...does ANYONE ever respond?? I do think they are looking for the one lonely person that does respond....and with that one person there is a wealth of information they could get about a lot of people...Like you I do not answer but they keep calling back...then when I do answer I don't get into a conversation with...simply tell them to take my name off the list...that does work until the the next one...sometimes I just want to get one of those pre-paid phones...give NO ONE the number and go along my merry way...

JY69 said...

Yeah..it's pissy that they have your number and address... it happens here in JP too... sales ...., no charities as of yet though...

Anonymous said...

Good Lord, that's some nerve that charity has, asking people to inflict that on their friends and neighbors. If they can afford to pay their employees, they can use their employees to stuff the envelopes since they already have the lists of names and addresses.

I'm like you, I'd rather donate to a cause I know is going to do some good, rather than blindly toss money at an organization where I don't know where the money is really going.

glnroz said...

yes, people do respond to these. A lot of times they don't realize that a large number of these are scams and have no one to advise them. Our office gets,sometimes, a dozen of these "type" calls a day. I have instructed everyone to just say, "take us off your list" and hang up. Sometimes these calls are recorded and if you simply say YES to any questions, you will be "signed up". This is a huuuugggee marketing approach.

Linda Brytak said...

Everyone has an agenda, all agendas need money to operate. Hopefully all monies are given to the group or individuals who truly are in need. My bugaboo is that it is not the needy who are the recipients of generosity, but the movers and shakers who get their cut before anyone else.
So I give my time. The most expensive gift one can give. It takes from you and gives to them. Knowing that the ones in need are at the receiving end.

Pick a group or a cause, don't wait for them to call you. Call them and donate your time. I suspect that if we all gave this way, our telephones would not ring with solicitations on the other end.
Special Olympics/ homes and shelters for those in need/ just to name but two. Give what cannot be bought.

Joy Des Jardins said...

I HATE, HATE, HATE these calls too Val. I get several a day...and into the evening. I won't answer them either. To me it's like getting junk e-mails. So many are looking for donations. It's not bad enough that you get stopped at every store you go in and out of by people who are asking you to contribute to 'their' cause. Once you donate and are on their list....you're on it FOREVER. I use to donate more than I do now. Crap, if I gave to everyone that called and asked for money, I'd be making my own calls asking for donations. Hugs, Joy

happyone said...

I've gotten that call from March of Dimes.
I have my own charities that I donate to. I like doing things for people around where I live.

Peruby said...

I don't miss my land line one iota.

gayle said...

I am getting calls from toll free numbers all the time lately! It drives me crazy!

token said...

I never answer calls with numbers I don't know either.

Linda Medrano said...

I think that's a ridiculous way to try and raise money. But then I've heard if a man walks up to random women and says "I'd like to have sex with you", one in two hundred women will say "okay". So maybe it works for that one in 200.

Cheryl said...

Well, now you don't have to answer the phone! You can check that one off your list. And I know who wants you sending those envelopes. I've refused too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jamie said...

Happy Thanksgiving Val. I hope this day is a beautiful one for you and your family. I wish you were sitting at my table...wouldn't that be awesome?

Hugs. LOts and lots of hugs. :)

Anonymous said...

Last month I gave the ASPCA access to my credit card because I CHOSE THEM. Of course it was during that heartbreaking commercial showing big dogs shaking to pieces from fear.

I was sick, knowing that 18 of my 20 dollars would be going to some hotshot sitting in his office, buying commercials and sending out literature.

Here's a head's up: Our numbers are dialed by computer. When we answer the phone, the computer waits to make sure we're not an answering machine. The minute we say "hello" the SECOND TIME, we're transferred to a telemarketer.

HANG UP AFTER YOU SAY HELLO ONCE. DON'T SAY HELLO TWICE.