Saturday, January 9, 2010

Cold snap.....

Seems like a lot of the nation is suffering from what they call a "cold snap". Living in Michigan, I've experienced a lot of them, several a lot worse than this one....but the older I get the more uncomfortable they are for me. We are supposed to suffer through the weekend and its promised that we are in for a 'heat wave' next week....it will get close to 30!

I can't help but wonder, each time we get some unwanted dramatic affect in the weather, what we would do if it just stayed that way. Everything we do is influenced by the weather, it seems. Sure, we would carry on and go to our jobs like normal, pay our bills, get our supplies in.....but after more than a few days or weeks of sub-zero temperatures, it would begin to wear pretty thin....not to mention the stress put on your vehicle and your body. Boy, I sure don't want to think about that anymore.

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking......'hmmm, it wouldn't be bad to have, say....80 degree weather and sunny each day'. But....where is it likely to have those conditions? Probably California and not all of us could live in just one state. Ughhh...that would create horrible traffic conditions (worse than it is now), not to mention housing shortages. So something freaky would have to happen where ALL of the nation was 80 and sunny and we have as much chance of that happening as we do of Florida hitting freezing. What? It did? Oh oh. (freaky.....) The constant type of weather would probably wear pretty thin after a while......no matter what it was. Humans seem to get bored easily.

Speaking of being bored.....when I went to the hospital the other day for my daughter I attempted to do one of my favorite things when I'm out in public. I people-watch. But either I was too worried the other day to focus or the selection of people to be watched was extremely bad. There was absolutely no one that held by interest. Gawd....I hope I'm not getting too old to do that anymore! Many an evening I've laughed and giggled over something I've seen that day.....I wouldn't want to lose that ability. Well, I'm not going to think about that anymore either. (do you notice a Scarlet O'Hara syndrome popping up repeatedly, here?)

I had to park in a parking garage and they scare me. I figure if you're gonna get mugged, then that's the place where it will most likely happen. My fears are confirmed by the signs up all over the place. "This area monitored by cameras" or how about this goodie. "E$c0rt$ available". Now if that doesn't put fear in your heart, nothing will. I didn't ask for an e$c0rt because I had my grandson's friend with me. (sorry, I had to do that to that word to thwart the search engine pervs) Grandson had to stay home to be available for his little sister when she came home from school, so his friend accompanied us. He is about 6'3, at least. I did feel rather safe with him. We must have made an odd looking pair....me at 4'11.

It was an uphill walk all the way to the hospital. True it was only a little over 2 blocks, but it almost did this old girl in. I'm not used to walking so much at once. The knee and the hip were screaming at me, then at each other. I had to stop twice and rest. That it was 15 degrees with a wind chill of 8 didn't help matters either. Did this make me feel old and horribly vulnerable. You bet your sweet bippy it did. I did notice, however, the walk back was much easier. Maybe it was because it was downhill or maybe it was because my mind was free of the tensions and apprehensions of a couple hours earlier.

16 comments:

Gianetta said...

These days, when I people watch my eyes tend to glaze over because everyone seems to look the same.

Holly said...

I .hate. the cold. Add wind and I'm even more miserable!

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment.

Com'on back again!

JY69 said...

I LOVE people watching, but just havent done that in some time. I hate cold tho, it just seems to get worse and worse every year..and they say it will be a WARM winter this year...where did it go????

Respectfully Yours said...

People watching is the best. I can zone out just watching other people and their lives.

Freezing here too.

happyone said...

One thing good about winter is it makes us appreciate spring!

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

the cold always gets to me too, just as soon as Christmas and New Years is over..
it's very depressing. :(

brrr...

gayle said...

hate the cold
hate parking garages ( scary )
Love to people watch!

Jamie said...

You bet your sweet bippy!!! Teeheeheehee...I haven't heard that in a while, and will have to remember to use it again.

I hear you on the cold, you know how I feel about it. Good heavens, will it ever end?

People watching is the best. I don't take enough time to do it these days...that's another thing I need to get back to.

Hugs. Lots of hugs. To keep us warm. Sigh...

Cheryl said...

I like to people watch at coffee shops. Warm, hospitable, and COFFEE. I too hate parking garages. I was once stuck in one after dark in a bad neighborhood with a car that wouldn't start. Very scary indeed. Luckily nothing happened.

Interesting thoughts about everyone living in warm climates. Maybe we could play musical houses and move around the country to try all the states. That's a novel idea.

Joy Des Jardins said...

I think we've said this before...but after reading this post, I'm confirming once again...we are so much alike Val. Case closed. Have a good Sunday sweetie. Love, Joy

Forsythia said...

It's cold here, too, and it's even cold in Florida, where the poor little oranges might actually freeze. Brrrrr. The one thing I REALLY hate about cold weather is that it makes my hair even more "fly-away." Then there's the static electricity in your clothes. Snap, crackle, pop!

Susan at Charm of the Carolines said...

Spring is only 10 weeks away. Hang in there and love your furbaby!

Susan

Anonymous said...

Parking garages FREAK ME OUT. It echos, it's claustrophobic, and there's a tendency to get disoriented. Or maybe that's just ME.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Val....Oh, I "feel" your thing about wind/cold and walkin'~!! Here in Troutdale, that wind is fierce from the Gorge and it cuts like a knife when it is in the 30's...Walkin' a long distance is not my cup of tea. It does make you feel vulnerable...
Parking Garages are spooky, for sure! And, I have seen loads of "road rage" within them as peeps vie for the spaces!
Weather---Give me 70 degrees, sunshine, a gentle breeze, and green grass!!...lol...
Soon...it will come soon...

Savannah said...

I'm not even going to mention the weather......

I've never worried about parking garages at all but maybe I should be. I don't seem to have any sense of danger at all come to think of it.

You poor love struggling up that hill. I don't think I have ever felt as old as I do right now so I can relate to that feeling of vulnerability.

I just read your little postscript below and I am just thrilled that your daughters surgery went so well. Lets hope she has many pain free days ahead of her.

Anonymous said...

It's supposed to go up to 50 this weekend. I plan to wear shorts.