Monday, March 23, 2009

Is that ink red?.....

I never heard him enter my office. I just looked up and he was......there. He had a presence about him, no getting around that. He was dressed entirely in black except for a dress shirt that was blindingly white, buttoned up to his neck tightly with no tie. His complexion was swarthy and his hair, black. In his accent that had a familiar ring to it, he asked if I was a notary and I said I was. He asked if I would notarize two pieces of paper for him. I said yes, of course and asked him for picture identification. He said he would show me his passport.

He slowly set his black briefcase on the counter in front of my desk and opened it. He removed two pieces of paper and handed them to me. The contents were typewritten but not in English. It looked close to Russian but I knew it was not....maybe Croation, I was thinking.

I asked him the question that I always ask and am required to ask....."do you understand what you are signing?". I do not need to know the content, only that the person understands it. He looked at me and nodded yes. He reached into his briefcase and withdrew his passport and handed it to me. It was new. I glanced at his picture....his head was slightly down and his eyes were looking up. It was chilling. He signed his name and I compared the signatures.....they matched. Suppressing the eerie feeling I had, I notarized the documents and curiosity made me quickly scan the passport for his vitals before handing it back to him. Place of birth.....Romania.

Holy crap! Carpathian Mountains!....Transylvania!.... garlic, holy water, somebody gimme a mirror! So many thoughts were buzzing in my head, its a miracle I could sign anything.

Hmmmm.....no driver's license? He inquired what the charge would be and I advised it was free as a service to our residents. He left without a smile and only a solemn "thank you", as quietly and quickly as he had entered. I was afraid to look out the window for fear of seeing a black hearse. Man, I have just GOT to quit looking at scary movies!! Imagination in overdrive over here!

I wonder what those documents SAID?

11 comments:

Loz said...

But what was the name?

Forsythia said...

And what was he doing up after dawn?

happyone said...

Spooky! I'm reading the twilight series which is about vampires. Your post gave me the chills. :-)

boneman said...

It was documents for delivery of a certain ....coffin.... tat will be delivered to....the courthouse. There the coffin will open and they will all dance around in the darkness!

....beware....

fiwa said...

LOL! Val, you could write gothic horror novels! I have the chills now. :)

CRUSTY MOM-E said...

I know what the documents were! It was docs to sue Stephanie Meyers the author of all the fabulous Twilight series because she stole his work (and real life)

spooky. Was he handsome?

desert dirt diva said...

yes was he hansome,and everything everyone else wrote.....will try the recipe ..later thank you soooooo much!!

Anonymous said...

His last name wasn't Chocula was it? I thought maybe he had the legal papers to force his product back into production.

ac said...

He didn't start counting did he? Vun! TU! Three! Four! FIVE! Maybe he was the Count from Sesame Street. :)

Jamie said...

LOL at AC!

Loved reading this, I have to concur...you could write horror stories very well. And yes, you have to answer the handsome question...

Hugs, friend. Missing you. I know I owe you an email, but I haven't even been able to do that. I'm working on it.

Hgus.

Brad said...

Maybe Elvira's divorcing him and trying to take his castle?