Saturday, January 11, 2014

It's Totally Out of Control.....

I'm lucky enough to have a phone that will block numbers for me. Every time I get one of those solicitation calls, I save it and block it. Only one thing wrong though.....when I get one of those calls that I've blocked, my phone will ring once or sometimes just a half a ring and then disconnect it. So it still is disturbing to a point. Like today, I thought a nap would be nice; I get sleepy around 1:30 or 2 in the afternoon. It was a foggy, rainy, sleepy kind of day. I laid down and got comfy. My phone had already blocked 3 calls, one at 10:46 a.m., another at 11:08 a.m and finally at 11:10 a.m. The 11:08 one was different from the other two. A nap was not to be, however. Shortly after lying down, I received these calls: 1:14, 1:33, 2:03, and 2:51....all from the same 800 number (1-877-213-6163, this, according to Google is from the Cancer Foundation and has really ticked off a lot of people due to their tactics. Note that they called me 6 times today.)  I gave up the idea of a nap at that point and got up.  To round out my day, I received my last call at 8 pm from the same one who called me at 11:08 a.m.(1-877-870-7409; this is the one where the aggressive, pushy people try to get donations for the cancer society....even if you give, they will pester you the following week for more.The way they have annoyed me has totally turned me off donating to them ever again. They have called me at least twice a day for weeks and weeks now)  No, honest, I'm not kidding.  These calls start as early as 8:30 a.m. and I've received them as late as 9:15 pm.  This is harassment. It is an invasion of our privacy.  I had signed up for the DO NOT CALL list, which is a huge joke. Most of these callers are able to skirt around that by claiming they are charities. Even when you ask over and over to stop calling, they still call. I often get another call too that isn't an 800 number, it originates from PA. (this is the one where they say "this is your LAST CHANCE to save yourself interest on your credit cards.....blah blah blah". Yeah they've been saying that last chance bit for months now.)

I saw a program on TV about some people who formed a class action lawsuit against these companies. On the program, which was fiction, there were 73,000 people suing. I wish we could do something like this. These calls have gotten totally out of hand and soon they will be plaguing us on our cellphones. Something has to be done about these pests.

I googled the numbers calling me and they have been annoying hundreds of other people in many different states. I don't know about you.....but I think getting 8 solicitation phone calls in a 10 hour period is just WAY out of line.  And yes.....my number is unlisted, which is also a big joke.

So......how was YOUR day?

14 comments:

Forsythia said...

Why must we be hounded day and night by these pests? Their pursuit of happine$$ is getting in the way of mine.

Linda said...

I am in for a lawsuit. I kept getting these phone calls from some group/business that would lower my interest rates on my credit cards. After hanging up dozens of times, I decided to talk to the guy. He was so thrilled I did not hang up.

He asked me to give him the credit card on which I wanted to lower the interest. I pointed out that if he was from my credit card company, he would know the name of my credit card. He tried to cajole me into giving him the name. I just laughed and hung up. But, that did not stop them from calling back innumerable times. UGH

Maria said...

I can honestly say that practically no one EVER calls me. Bing and my daughter text only, as do my Sisters and most of my friends. So when the phone rings (and Liv has my ring tone set to "Pumped Up Kicks"), I always jump out of my skin.

Jamie said...

Wondering how you are. You've been on my mind. Please write or update. Hugs. xo

Josie Two Shoes said...

Come back to blogging dear friend! Jamie and Soul are back, as are Frank, CC (now Ruby), and Cheryl! We miss the old gang, sharing and caring!

SOUL said...

Well, hmmm, i'm late to the party... I was here to tell ya 'we' are workin on gettin our lil family back together. Think you might post again soon? We miss you. We never stopped.
Somethin about those "footprints on your soul"
Know what i mean ?
There was just somethin about the good ole days... The golden girls. ;))

SOUL said...

Comment moderation? Really? Ahhhhh. Ok. ;))

Josie Two Shoes said...

Yay, she's alive! I saw you out and about! Can't wait to see you put something new up here! We miss you, Val! XOXO

Josie Two Shoes said...

As I said on Jamie's blog, I'm just going to keep commenting on this post, 'til you get motivated to put up a new one! I can be a pain in the rear like that! :-)) Share a few lines, tell us what you've been up to. Let's get this circle reconnected, we can do it!
OXOX, Josie

Josie Two Shoes said...

Checking... checking...! Surprise me, put something up here girl!
:-)

SOUL said...

Hiya friend... I am thinkin about you. Sure would like to see ya write again. I miss you. I hope life is good to you
:))

Josie Two Shoes said...

Just letting you know I keep droppin' by with my fingers crossed, hoping that you are soon going to surprise us with a post. Come out and play Val, it's Spring and it's nice here in blogland! :-) OXOX, Jos

Jenny said...

Dropping by. I know it's been a long, long time, but I wanted to say hi!

My husband and I always tells them they are calling a cell phone number.

There are huge fines associate with calling a cell phone unsolicited. We've got back a lot on the volume of calls we receive!

Linda said...

How about 16 calls from the same place in one day? I tried twice to take a nap. I would have turned off the phone, but I was expecting a call both times. Sometimes my alarm does not work, so a friend was going to call me.

When I get the call the help me with my cc interest, I agree. Then, they ask for my cc number. I told them if they were from my cc company, they would know my cc number. The guy tried to cajole me and asked how he could help me if I would not cooperate. I asked him what his company was and he gave me some name that sounded really generic. I told him I thought he was a scammer and he got all hurt. I asked him to remove my number from his list. He agreed and the calls continued. I would gladly join a class action suit over these guys and the Cancer Society, too. Even a charity does not have the right to harass people!