Tuesday, September 24, 2013

As the Worm Turns.......

or....continuing on with the drama of the raccoons. I last left you with my fears that I would be locked into a contract that I did not want.

Well, the rep for that company turned out to be much better than I had given him credit for. Either that or he could see that there just was not that much money to be made. He came out to see me and when I once more told him that there was no way I could pay more than double what the insurance had given me, he stated that he would then rip on the contract. He was very nice about it....so I was greatly relieved.

I finally picked the roofing company that offered me the most for my money and he was willing to work with me on financing. Plus that he was local and had some very good recommendations.....like even from my employer.(the Township has used him previously)  So now I just had to make sure the raccoons had vacated.

After a week and a half of not hearing them in the attic and the trap not being tripped, I correctly assumed they were gone. I started making calls to companies that offered the service of decontamination and insulation replacement. One place boasted $7. a square foot for both. My attic is 1100 sq. feet. There was no way I could afford this. I started to think about only getting half the attic done as less than half of the attic was damaged by the coons. I sat at my desk at work and thought....my eyes coming to rest upon a business card in my in box. It was from a company we've long done business with that specialize in crime scene cleanup and fire board ups. But I decided to call them and see if they could recommend someone for my particular problem.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they do that type of work as well. A rep came out, went up in my attic, took pictures and got back to me via email the next morning. They came in about $5500 cheaper than that $7700 quote. This includes disposing of any contaminants, disinfection and blown-in insulation over my complete attic. So....they are going to start as soon as the roof is completed.

Next up....a handyman to fix the ceiling over my tub, finish and paint it. I believe I may have found one but I won't know for sure until I meet him and that won't be until the attic is finished. But he's a friend of a friend so it's not like I don't have any idea about what kind of guy he is.

The shingles for my roof were delivered today and sit in neat stacks on top of my house. Things are coming together and not a moment too soon.  I've heard reports of a vicious winter for us here and I'm glad to get this all taken care of.

Now.....if all that pounding doesn't give me a headache, all will be well.  I'm headed to the kitchen for a Margarita.

6 comments:

lotta joy said...

Val, I just thought of something. I was HERE the entire day the roofers were hammering. IT WAS AWFUL!! And I mean, REAL BAD. Beau was terrorized, I thought someone was coming through the ceiling on a number of occasions. But you've gotta stay there.

And be sure the clean-up people that work on crime scenes don't leave a few bodies up there.

Peruby said...

Lotta joy - "leave a few bodies up there" - LOL! Love it!

I had roofers working on both sides of me a couple of summers ago. After a particular vicious storm it seems like everybody was getting a new roof. It drove me crazy.

How about noise-cancelling head phones, or just regular full sized ones with that soft foam? Just something to muzzle that noise! Good luck!

Leann said...

I'm so glad you were able to get it all worked out and you are at peace with the decisions. Hopefully you'll be all snug by the time that wicked winter they are predicting hits!

castawaysofyesterday said...

Nice to know you will be all safe dry and warm for the winter :)

glnroz said...

yea for the "marggies" and am glad to see that the job is working more in your favor...glenn

happyone said...

Thanks Val for the chicken information. : ) I had no idea chickens ate like that.